The Pyrenees regions spectacular scenery always looks striking. What better way to make the most of warmer weather and longer days than by having a picnic?
Here in the Pyrenees we have plenty of opportunity for you to source all your goodies to fill up a hamper straight from the growers and some scenic locations for you to enjoy a picnic.
- Avoca Riverside Market – Held on the 4th Sunday of each month, the Avoca Riverside Market is a great source of fresh local product
- Sallys Paddock Redbank Winery – Amongst the handcrafted estate grown wines in the Sally’s Paddock Cellar Door, you will find Sally’s handmade preserves. Sal creates an ever changing line up, produced from what is in season and often what is grown in the Sally’s Paddock homestead garden!
- The O&L coffee house – Home of Doctors Creek Preserves. All Doctors Creek Preserves are proudly produced onsite using locally sourced ingredients. The cafe boasts homecooked style meals in a comfy country setting, from traditional toasties, Ploughman’s lunch and a mouth watering variety of cakes and slices which can be eaten in or takeaway.
- Shear Delights Bakery – Looking for the best bread to make your sandwiches? Or maybe you are after something sweet? Shear Delights Bakery has an outstanding reputation for their baked goods such as the Passionfruit Sponge, Beestings and Continental Vanilla Slices.
- Summerfield Winery – Here you can pick up all your needs. Summerfield can provide you with your sourdough bread baked fresh on site along with sweet and savoury pastries and they have a deli stocking local and international produce such as smoked meats, cheeses, jams, chutney, relish, olives, olive oil, and nuts. And of course there is a selection of award winning wines to take with you.
- Pyrenees Pantry – Pyrenees Pantry brings together a wide selection of the regions finest produce for tasting or purchase all within a relaxed cafe atmosphere. Famous for their variety of gourmet home made pies and pasties.
- Beaufort Bakery – A locally owned bakery that prides itself in providing fresh food baked daily. Here you can grab a custom fresh sandwich, wrap or roll and choose from a delicious range of sweet treats.
- Beaufort Church Gallery and Cafe – The cafe offers great coffee, cakes, slices and a delicious varying lunch menu. Jessica will create you a custom made picnic pack to take to go.
Picnic with a view
With your picnic basket bursting, take a walk along fern filled trails in Mount Cole or beside the lake in Beaufort for a lunch in the open air. Our top picks for a scenic picnic are:
- Richards Campground – located in the Mount Cole Forest and an easy 15 minute drive from Beaufort. Imagine yourself dwarfed by trees and surrounded by lush ferns and moss-lined logs as you enjoy the delicacies that you picked up in town.
- Beaufort Lake – located in the township of Beaufort, what’s not to love about an afternoon of canoeing and canoodling by the lake? The banks of Beaufort Lake has everything you could need for a romantic picnic or fun-filled family day. The popular weekend spot has picnic tables, toilets, playground and BBQ facilities as well as a lovely 1km or 3km walking track around the lake.
- Ben Nevis Lookout – Head up to the Ben Nevis lookout in Mount Cole where you can have a picnic with a view while looking over the mesmerizing views of Langhi Ghiran and Grampians National Park.
- Avoca Chinese Garden – Beautifully positioned overlooking the river flats, Avoca’s Garden of Fire and Water is a delightful location to enjoy a picnic.
- Avoca Waterfalls Campground – just 10 minutes out of Avoca, the Avoca Waterfalls Campground makes a beautiful and peaceful place for a picnic. Bring your picnic rug and pick a spot on the sun-soaked grass or under the big shady trees. A 10 minute walk will get you to the waterfalls which are seasonally dry.